Lester B. Pearson (affectionately known as Mike a nickname                                                  given to him by his WWII flying instructor,  was born in Toronto, 1897. His mother was from Kilkenny,  his paternal grandfather from Dublin.
     In 1945 Pearson participated in the San Francisco conference to create the United Nations .In 1949 he signed the treaty for the creation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (N.A.T.O.) and led the Canadian delegation until 1957. He was chairman of  NATO Council in 1951-52. He became President of the U.N. General Assembly in 1952.
     In 1956, Pearson proposed the solution to end the Suez War by sponsoring the creation of a United Nations peacekeeping force - he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1957.
     He became the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada in 1958 and, in 1963, he became the 14th Prime Minister of Canada, a position he held until 1968.  

During his tenure as PM, Pearson was known for his foreign policy. But his domestic policies were of primary importance and illustrate his concerns for the benefit of the people of Canada- his creation of the Canada Pension Plan and,  perhaps his greatest gift of all to the people of Canada - a Universal Medical Plan, that has been envied and copied around the world. Whether or not Canada should have a flag of it’s own had been debated for years. Under Pearson’s leadership, the

Maple Leaf flag was accepted in 1965 with great acclaim and

Canada’s unique Maple Leaf flag, was first raised on Parliament                                            Hill Ottawa on Canada Day July 1st, 1965.

                                                      scroll down to read about the PM's test of the designed flags

Edward Whelan

Visionary, Founding Father

                                             Born, 1882 in Compton, Québec, with an Irish mother and a                                                 Québécois father, St. Laurent grew up fluently  bilingual. He                                                   quickly became a successful corporation lawyer and professor  of Law at Laval. In the 1920-30s   He  served as head of the Québec Bar and president of the Canadian Bar Association.  1937-40 he was a counsel to the Rowell-Sirois Royal Commissionon on Dominion-Provincial Relations.

     In Dec. 1941 St-Laurent was approached by Liberal PM Mackenzie-King to become minister of justice. In February 1942 he was elected to the House of Commons representing Québec East
     He went on to be Prime Minister 1948 – 57, heading a cabinet of exceptional competence, including Lester B. Pearson in external afairs.  St. Laurent was a prime architect of Canada's international policies after WWII and promoted Canadian membership in NATO. The post-war years were prosperous in Canada, and under his leadership, Canada extended old-age pensions, enacted hospital insurance and approved provincial equalization payments. The Trans-Canada Highway Act took effect in 1949, the St. Lawrence Seaway started construction 1954, he introduced equalization payments to distribute federal taxes to the provinces and created Canada Council in 1956. He provided funds for hospital insurance and introduced universal old age pensions. During his tenure Newfoundland joined Confederation and Canada fought in the Korean War.
     The Pipeline Debate in 1956 divided the party and, in June 1957,  St-Laurent's government was defeated by Diefenbaker’s PC’s. In January 1958 he retired from public life and returned to his law practice.
     St-Laurent was much admired for his decisiveness, patriotism and sharp mind, and

held in great personal affection by those who worked with him. In 1967, he was named  Companion of the Order of Canada “for his service to his  country.”          

Shortly after his death in 1973, the home of his birth  became the                                       Louis S. St-Laurent National Historic Site of Canada.                                                        Quebec’s Eastern Townships celebrate his life and he is further                         commemorated at Louis S. St-Laurent Heritage House, Quebec City.

Journalist. Publisher. Politician.

Senator Patricia Carney

                                              Joan was born in 1944 in Dauphin, Manitoba. Her  father                                                Kenneth Donovan was a British home child sent to                                                   Canada in 1929; her mother Bernadette, was the born in                                                P.Q to Mary Leahy whose parents were from County                                                      Tipperary and Michael McCaffrey whose family came from the North of Ireland.  Joan and Brian O’Malley married in 1963.
        So how did Joan get to sew Canada’s First Maple Leaf flag?                           Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson had made an election promise to deliver a new National flag. A task force was commissioned. They sifted through 6,000 submitted designs and chose three. The flag designs were flat drawings. Flags may be hung flat on a parade float or a wall, but mostly flags are for raising proudly up the flagpole to catch the wind and our salute. The Prime Minister concluded that the real test would be to see the designed flags flying.
     Late on Friday afternoon, November 6, 1964, the PM requested a prototype for each of the three designs – and that they be delivered to him in time for him to fly them over Harrington Lake, Ontario, that very weekend!   Joan’s father, Ken, was the purchasing agent for the Canadian Govt. Exhibition Commission.  Just before closing, Donovan managed to get a Hull Camping Equipment store to provide 30 yards of bunting and had it delivered to the Commission’s office by taxi.  The production crew got busy silk-screening the designs. By 9:00 p.m. the designs were silk screened, all that was required was a seamstress to assemble them. Where do you find an accomplished seamstress late on a Friday night?
It wasn’t what Joan O’Malley expected when she heard her father on the phone. “Would she … ?  Of course she would.
     Joan and her husband loaded her Singer sewing machine into their car and headed to the Commission’s office. Sewing the flags was not easy. Portables are not designed for heavy bunting flag material. Joan did much needlework by hand, stitching the edges together to make the flags flyable.
     With two completed replicas of each of the three designs, at nearly midnight, . Donovan headed for the P.M.'s residence at 24 Sussex Drive, Ottawa.
Thanks to Joan for the skill and speed with which she rendered that historical work.

Richard John Uniacke 

                                           Solicitor General of Nova Scotia.                    Advocate General of the Vice-Admiralty Court.  

Member of Legislative Assembly


Thomas Kirkpatrick

     Robert Baldwin was born at York ( Toronto ), Upper Canada , on May 12, 1804 , the eldest son of William Warren Baldwin and Phoebe Willcocks. His grandfather, also Robert Baldwin ("Robert the emigrant") moved to Upper Canada from Ireland in 1799. Robert married his cousin Augusta Elizabeth Sullivan, daughter of Daniel Sullivan, on May 3, 1827. The couple had four children, two sons and two daughters. Augusta Elizabeth died January 11, 1836

     Robert was educated at the Home District Grammar School, studied law under his father, and was called to the bar of Upper Canada in 1825.

     In 1829 Baldwin was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, but at the general elections of 1830 he was defeated, and he did not again sit in the legislature until after the Union of 1841. His ability and his high character, however, won for him a general esteem; and in 1836 he was appointed by Sir Francis Bond Head to the Executive Council of Upper Canada. His tenure of office lasted fewer than 4 weeks, when of a disagreement with the lieutenant-governor brought about the resignation of the whole council. Later that year, in England, he submitted to the Colonial Office a memorandum which, for the first time, clearly and completely defined the concept of responsi­ble government in Canada.  During the rebellion of 1837, the task of parleying with the rebels was assigned to Baldwin.
     In February, 1840, Baldwin was persuaded to accept the post of solicitor-general of Upper Canada. In February, 1841, he became solicitor-general of Canada West, with a seat in the Executive Council. At the same time he was elected as a Reformer to represent Hastings in the Assembly; and when the governor-general declined to reconstruct the administration to accord with the views of the Reformers, Baldwin resigned from the Council, and went into oppo­sition. In September, 1841, he intro­duced into the Assembly a series of resolutions in favour of responsible government; and when the government was defeated in the House in September, 1842, it was to Baldwin that the new governor, Sir Charles Bagot turned to form an administration.           Together with Louis Lafontaine, Baldwin formed a ministry-known as the first Baldwin-Lafontaine administration-which held office until November 1843 , was in opposition utilto 1848 when  the second Baldwin-Lafontaine administration, often called "The Great Ministry" resumed and the principle of responsible government in Canada was finally and indisputably established.
He died in Toronto on December 9, 1858. 

John Ralston Saul pointed out, "we have killed in political strife among ourselves less than a hundred citizens – most of them on a single day at Batoche,” Saskatchewan, during the Riel Rebellion. “The first measure of any citizen-based culture must not be its rhetoric or myths or leaders or laws but how few of its own citizens it kills.” This non-violent tradition we owe to Robert Baldwin and Louis-Hippolyte LaFontaine, who refused to abandon principle, and who walked away from retribution.


Joan Kathleen (Donovan) O'Malley

Seamstress to the Maple Leaf Flag                                150

Economist. Journalist. Politician. 

                                                                           The first Irish to settle in Canada                                                                                            landed in 1536 and 'struck gold'                                                                                           and the island we know as                                                                                                      Newfoundland was known                                                                                                              as Talamh an Eise                                                                                                                  (Land of Fish)


We'll never know. Were they simply tossed across the heaving Atlantic or did they set out with a sense of purpose in the wake of Columbus' crossing? Some say      St Brendan, born c 1484 in Ireland. lead them on the voyage to a new life. 
    Written records assure us that they set out in a currach. Built of lightweight wood or wickerwork frame over which animal skins, cured with oak bark and sealed with tar, were stretched. The currach (some variants) remains unique to the West Coast. 
        The seagoing currach was described by Captain Phillips as "A portable vessel of wicker ordinarily used by the Wild Irish" who kept up a thriving fishing industry there until the Great Hunger of the 19th C broke the economy and drove millions of destitute Irish from Ireland. The 20th C brought the founding of the Canadian Nation, a new  wave of immigration and  the settling the vast prairies.  Arriving in Canada, most Irish set  aside their language to fit in but still, scorned as 'Famine Irish' found themselves on the low steps of Canadian culture. However, excelling in diverse fields, they became a cultural force and brought to the fore values that significantly define  what it means to be Canadian.                                                  The 2011 Census reported more than 4-million descendants of Irish immigrants - 14% of the Canadian population.

Robert Baldwin 

Statesman. Solicitor General of Upper Canada. M.L.A.    LEGACY: Resonsible Government - responsible to the people, dependent on the support of an elected assembly,        rather than on the monarch.                                           33

Francis Alexander Anglin

Lawyer. Politician.

Seventh Chief Justice of Canada 1924 to 1933.                                                                                   ooo

Lester Bowles Pearson

Thomas D'Arcy McGee

                                                      Francis Alexander Anglin was born  Apr. 2, 1865 at
                                                      Saint-John, New Brunswick, son of Timothy Warren

                                                      Anglin from Co. Cork and Ellen (McTavish) Anglin.
Elder brother to the renowned stage actress, Margaret Anglin, he earned a B.A. from the University of Ottawa and enrolled as a law student with the Law Society of Upper Canada and was called to the bar in 1888. He established his practice in Toronto, eventually founding the law firm of Anglin & Mallon. In 1896 he became Clerk of the Surrogate Court of Ontario. His published Limitations of Actions against Trustees and Relief from Liability for Technical Breaches of Trust. He was appointed to the Exchequer Division of the High Court of Justice of Ontario in 1904 and to the Supreme Court of Canada on February 23, 1909.

On September 16, 1924, he became Chief Justice of Canada. He served on the Supreme Court for 24 years, retiring on February 28, 1933. Chief Justice Anglin died two days after his retirement, on March 2, 1933, at the age of 67.

Founding Father

Prime Minister 1948 - 1957      Companion of the Order of Canada

They were Fathers of Confederation negotiating and signing the terms of Confederaton on July 1, 1867, uniting the British North American colonies. On February 15, 1965, the National Flag of Canada was officially unfurled - the nation stretched from sea to sea. They are Nation Builders. Elected. Appointed. Irish. Canadian.

                                             Kirkpatrick was born Dec. 25, 1805, Coolmine House Co.                                                 Dublin, son of Alexander Kirkpatrick of Coolmine House                                                 and the ancestral seat of the Kirkpatricks, Drumcondra                                               House, Co. Kildare.
         He immigrated to Upper Canada in 1823 and settled at Kingston where he read law and was called to the bar in 1828. Kirkpatrick had a reputation for integrity and soundness of judgement especially in business matters. In that trust, he established a flourishing practice and, until 1845 also held the lucrative position of Collector of Customs. He served as president of the Kingston Permanent Building Society, local solicitor of the Bank of Upper Canada from about 1837 until its collapse in 1866, and local solicitor to its trustees until his death.
In 1838, Kirkpatrick was elected as first mayor of Kingston, but was later disqualified because he was not a resident at the time. In 1847, residentially qualified, he was again elected Mayor. In 1846, he was named Queen’s Counsel.
Kirkpatrick was a staunch Conservative. In 1867 he represented Frontenac in the first Dominion of Canada Parliament. His son, George Airey, succeeded him as MP and, in 1892, and was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.
Thomas Kirkpatrick died, March 1870, in Kingston in 1870  while still in office.   

      Kirkpatrick Street, a major street located in the Kingston neighbourhood of Kingscourt, is named in his memory.                                                                     103      

Prime Minister 1963 - 1968  Nobel Peace Prize 1957


Edward Whelan, born 1824 in Ballina, Ireland. He began                               his        his schooling there before emigrating with his mother to                Halifax.              Halifax.  He entered school and, at 8 yrs of age, was                                         apprenticed to  the printing office of newspaper where                                   owner Joseph Howe  encouraged him to continue his education by reading. Whilst attendeding St. Marys Seminary, Whelan continued to work for Howe until 1842 when he briefly held a he position of newspaper editor before moving to Prince Edward Island and founding his own twice-weekly devoted to reform, particularly the issue of responsible government being essential to dismantling the predominant system of leasehold land tenure. The newspaper failed financially and Whelan considered leaving PEI. But, in August 1946, he won a seat in the House of Assembly, representing St. Peters in eastern PEI. One year later he published a new weekly and, wielding a brilliant satiric pen, his character insights and analyses of contemporaries won him a great following.
     By early 1850, Whelan increased the frequency of his newspaper. A talented orator, he spoke at many public meetings in support of responsible government. Responsible government was won in the colony, April 1851 and Whelan’s agenda widened to include free education, reforming the leasehold land system and extending the electoral franchise.
     When union of the British North American colonies emerged as a practical political question in 1864, Whelan anticipated that the Colonial Office — which had provided landlords with consistent backing against Reform measures — would no longer be “i
ntermeddling [...] in our local legislation.”  A delegate to the Québec Conference, he continued to support union of the provinces - on this subject he was in a small minority among Islanders, and especially within his Liberal party.  The following year, Whelan retained his seat, but he accepted the office of Queen’s Printer and thereby obliged to a by-election, which he  lost .         Edward Whelan died on December 10, 1867. His legacy on the Island lives on. Regrettably, on the issue of Confederation, he did not live to see his cause succeed.

 Timothy Anglin was born  31 Aug. 1822 in                                                  Clonakilty. His parents were Francis Anglin,

Ease India Co. employee, and Joan Warren.

 In his relatively wealthy middle-class Irish Catholic family in Co. Cork, Warren received a classical education. When the Great Hunger hit Ireland in 1845 he took up school teaching in his home town. On Easter Monday 1849 he left Ireland for Saint John where his introduction to public life quickly made an impact - following a violent riot he wrote a lengthy letter to the Morning News criticizing municipal authorities and urging everyone to be calm and cooperate for the benefit of the colony. The letter launched his publication in August of the St. John Weekly Freeman, through which: he became lay spokesman for the most impoverished  - about one-third of the population, the Irish Catholics suffered proportionately more than others from low wages, unemployment, inadequate housing, and disease. They faced various forms of economic, social, political, and religious discrimination and were viewed by “respectable” citizens as being prone to drunkenness, profligacy, and violence.

     Anglin’s approach as an Irish Catholic leader was multi-faceted - he defended  them against charges that they were depraved and a burden on society; he promoted their self-respect by providing news from Ireland, supporting ethno-religious groups (Irish Friendly Society}, and by encouraging the development of Catholic welfare societies and the development of employment opportunities. He also encouraged them to improve and transform themselves with God’s help - instances of bad behavious all received a lashing in the Freeman.

     Anglin’s first effort to gain political office in 1860 failed, but in 1961 he was elected to the New Brunswick House of Assembly for Saint John County and City as an independent. He argued always that  “Where the rights of the individual are trampled upon there is despotism.”

     In 1853 he married Margaret O'Regan who died in 1855. In 1862 he married Ellen McTavish. Timothy & Ellen had 10 children, including their world famous daughter, actress Margaret Anglin.
     For British North Americans the 1860s were shaped by the American Civil War. Anglin believed the cause was the institution of slavery and the fanaticism which existed in both the North and the South. The war raised the question of colonial defence and the imperial connection. Whilst Anglin never accepted British domination of Ireland, he did accept that it provided the best defence against any aggressive American attempts to take over the colonies which he saw as innocent bystanders in quarrels between Britain and the United States.

     Circumstances in New Brunswick forced the government, led by Samuel Leonard Tilley, to call an election early in 1865.  Anglin waged a hard and skilful battle and emerged as one of the most prominent anti-confederates. Majority opinion in New Brunswick agreed with Anglin’s opposition to the union proposal and the government went down to a resounding defeat. He became an executive councillor without departmental office in th newly formed government.
     When the American branch of the Fenian movement, bent on liberating Ireland from Britain, proposed to attack Britain’s colonies in North America. Neither Anglin nor the vast majority of New Brunswick’s Irish Catholics supported them.  In the election which followed in May and June, the anti-confederates were soundly defeated, Anglin included.
     For Anglin, as for the new Dominion of Canada, the years 1867 to 1872 were a period of substantial adjustment.  In the first general election for the House of Commons he ran successfully in New Brunswick, Angin contested the unofficial leadership of Irish Catholics with Thomas D’Arcy McGee until McGee’s assassination in April 1868. Thereafter, Anglin continued to speak out on issues of particular concern to this group but his criticisms were seldom vociferous. he believed it was improving and at least was better than in the United States.

     He also found a more established party position in the House of Commons, gravitating from sitting as an independent in 1867 to being a prominent member of the loosely bound Liberal party under Alexander Mackenzie in 1872. When Macdonald’s government fell as a result of the Pacific Scandal in Nov. 1873, Anglin was excluded from the new administration formed by Alexander Mackenzie, in spite of his acknowledged prominence in Liberal circles.  As a reward for his valued services to the party Anglin was named speaker of the House of Commons in March 1874.

     The connection between the government and the Freeman got Anglin into serious trouble for conflict of interest, which resulted in his being unseated from the commons in 1877.  in April,  Anglin fought a bitter summer by-election and be re-elected speaker at the beginning of the 1878 session.
     Despite his conservatism and his commitment to free enterprise, he did not join the many middle-class Canadians who condemned workers’ organizations.

In fact, he gave the activities of such groups reasonably objective coverage in the Freeman. Anglin even came to sympathize with efforts of labour unions, many of whose members in Saint John were Irish Catholics, to improve their position, provided their actions were legal, moderate, and non-violent.
     Following the defeat of the Liberals in 1878 Anglin’s political fortunes went into decline. This, along with the declining fortunes of his newspaper, led Anglin to sever his tie with the Freeman and move to Toronto in 1883.
     At 65 he had a wife and seven children aged 4 to 22 to support. In earlier years he had put aside a substantial investment, but he did not again find steady work until just prior to his death.
During these years he was engaed in occasional appointments, wrote a few articles for journals and newspapers, made the occasional speech, wrote the chapter on Archbishop John Joseph Lynch* in a volume celebrating the 50th anniversary of the archdiocese of Toronto, and was a trustee on the Toronto Separate School Board from 1888 to 1892.                                                                 

In May 1895 he obtained steady employment, as chief clerk of the Surrogate Court of Ontario, the influence of his two lawyer sons, Francis and Arthur Whyte, probably being a factor in the appointment. A year later he died of a blood clot on the brain.                                                                                                      40

         In 1781 he was named solicitor general of NS.                                                          By 1800 his was the province's largest legal practice;                                                    combined with his appointment (1784) as advocate                                                 general of the Vice-Admiralty Court, it secured his                                                    personal fortune. He also sat in the legislature (1783-93, 1798-1805) For more than 30 years Uniacke struggled for free trade, by which he meant the removal of those laws that prevented the colonies from trading wherever and in whatever they wished.      

      He was born in Ireland (Castletown Roche, County Cork) on November 22nd, 1753. Placed with a Dublin attorney in 1769, a quarrel with his father lead him to emigrate to America. There he met Moses Delesdernier who was looking for settlers to Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia. He accepted  Delesdernier’s offer of employment, went to Nova Scotia and, at the age of 21, married 13-year-old Martha Maria Delesdernier.  
       The American Revolution was brewing and Uniacke was a sympathizer with the rebels. An attack on Fort Cumberland landed him in Halifax to be tried for treason - he was rescued by certain of his friends and out of the country before he could be tried. He left his 15-year old pregnant wife behind and sailed for Ireland to take up his legal studies. Once completed, his well connected Irish relatives arranged a promise that he would be appointed attorney general in Nova Scotia. He returned to Halifax in 1781

       .At the end of the American Revolution, the upper class (known as Loyalists to the crown) fled north - an estimated 20,000 to Nova Scotia. In the  election Uniacke and others lost their seats to Loyalists. Once again his family intervened and he was appointed Attorney General in 1797.
       Uniacke and Martha Maria Bonner DelesDernier (1762-1803) had 11 children. In 1808 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Captain Phillips Newton – they had one son.  All the boys were sent overseas for legal training.  The family had a large townhouse in Halifax and a country home at Mount Uniacke which is now a Provincial park.

                                                                                (see Historic Sites)

       As for his politics: he was a moderate Tory. By 1826 he was advocating a federal union an event that took place 37 years after his death.   Uniacke was remembered mostly for the sheer force of his character and his exuberance. Family and friendships were essential to his existence.
      Fondly known as the "Old Attorney General," with a number of his family around him at Mount Uniacke, died on October 11th, 1830. His wish was a simple burial at Mount Uniacke, but he was carried to Halifax to be buried at St. Paul's beside his first wife and his eldest daughter. 

Lawyer. Mayor. QC. MP Founding Father 

                                                 Born 1825 in Carlingford, Ireland. His father was a a                                               coastguard with little allowance for his son's formal  -                                                with little allowance for his son's formal education.      However, D’Arcy was an avid reader and when the family moved to Wexford, volumes opened up to him   By study and heart he absorbed   the great legends and traditions of Ireland’s history.  D'Arcy McGee would mature to be, in all respects, iconic Irish: intelligent and gifted wih the word, witty and   engaging, visionary and passionate.
      At 17 years of age, he set sail for the United States, where he landed a job with a Boston newspaper. In 1845 Daniel O’Connell, impressed by a McGee editorial on Irish affairs, invited him to return to Ireland and join The Freeman’s Journal. The Ireland he returned to was an occupied English province. Within a year the blight wiped out the potato crops on which Irish tenant farmers had survived and, whilst the landlords shipped livestock, dairy and crops to England, one-fifth of the Irish died of starvation and more than a million emigrated in desperation.   
         In the midst of struggles and conflicts McGee was charged with treason.    He escaped to North America and was persuaded to settle his family in Canada where he would give voice to a new land and where they might break through  the racial and religious intolerance south of the border.. In 1857 Canada was Ontario and Quebec, united as the Province of Canada; four separately governed Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland); two small British colonies on the West Coast beyond the vast lands governed by the Hudson’s Bay Company and peopled by the indigenous First Nations still free to live their nomadic hunter lives.
     McGee settled his family in Montreal, a city of 70,000 (about 1/3 Irish) and started a newspaper, The New Era. The title would be prophetic. His first three editorials called for unity and union. Within the year, McGee was nominated and elected one of three Members of Parliament for Montreal. He wrote three books on the history of Ireland and Irish settlements in North America and, in those days before communications technology, McGee was the most popular and respected lecturer in Canada - a significant part of his nation-wide influence .
     When the American Civil War broke out in 1861, Canadian colonies were at risk as incidents between the United States and Britain threatened war. Seeing the union of the colonies as vital McGee, the ‘fiery Celt’, crossed the floor to join Scotsman John A. MacDonald, Puritan George Brown and others, forming the  coalition that negotiated an agreement with provision for the rights of minorities.
In Ireland the Fenians, formed to overthrow British rule, had considerable support among Irish emigrants in the US. Fearful of thee damage it would do to the rights that had been gained and the reputation of Irish Canadians, McGee strongly opposed the Fenians even as threats against his life increased.
       In the 1867 election, McGee won his seat as a private member of the Parliament of the Dominion of Canada. In Ottawa, on the night of April 6, 1868, he made his last speech urging Nova Scotia to stay in confederation. It was after midnight when the House rose.                                                                              Thomas D’Arcy McGee walked alone to the boarding house. As he turned the key in the lock, he fell, shot through the head. Whilst we grieve a life of potential cut too short, we give thanks that his contributions to Canada, and to all humanity, remain invaluable when we reflect on the standards of justice, peace, equality and human rights that he set and how his legacy continues to significantly define what it means to be Canadian. 

Timothy Warren Anglin

Born in Shanghai, China, 1935, Patricia Carney was 4 years                                                           old when she arrived in Canada with her Irish parents. Her                                                           early education was in Nelson, B.C.  Graduated from high                                                   school there and moved to study Arts, Political Science and                                        Economics at the University of British Columbia. With her Bachelor of Arts in hand,             she went  on  to UBC School of Community and Regional Planning for her Masters.
Carney was a successful business columnist, writing principally for the Vancouver Sun           and Province. In 1970 she focussed on socio-economic issues in the North and started     her own consulting firm, preparing studies on subjects such as pipelines, satellite communications and labour relations.
     She returned to Vancouver from Yellowknife with a passion to address socio-economic issues not only in the North but the Province. She entered the 1979 federal election as        a PC candidate for Vancouver Centre. She was narrowly defeated. She put her name on    the ballot the following year. She was elected and, in opposition, served as energy critic.  

Re-elected in 1984, Carney was appointed Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources, with responsibility for working out a new energy deal with the Western Provinces. In a June    1986 cabinet shuffle she became Minister of International Trade, deeply involved in the Softwood Lumber Dispute and the Free Trade negotiations with the US - sucessfully negotiated and the Agreement signed.  She was president of the Treasury Board when,    just before the 1988 election, she retired to private life and journalism as Executive       Editor of Pacific Press.  
     Patricia Carney was appointed to the Senate in 1990. It was another first for a woman      who was out front in every field. She was the first woman Conservative appointed from  BC   to the Senate. In her political career, she was the first woman Conservative Member of Parliament ever elected in BC (1980's).

     In her journalism career in the l960’s, she was the first woman business columnist          writing for major daily newspapers. As an educator, she was a Canadian pioneer in the   

development of distance learning systems and in 1977 she received the British Columbia Institute of Technology award for Innovation in Education for “diligent and  creative work”   in the Satellite Tele-Education Program Hermes Project, one of 26 national projects to experiment with the world’s first geostationary interactive communications satellite

Pat Carney has 'retired' but she keeps on politicking for causes.

     One of her major causes is the complex of Arthritis. She has been working with the   Arthritis Society since 1977. She is a founding member of the Athritis Research Centre          of Canada and her advocacy has earned her an Honourary Membership with the Arthritis Society, BC and Yukon Division

TATALAMH an ÉISC         

Louis St. Laurent